THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF WEAVERS'
SILVER SHUTTLE AWARD
for outstanding talent and ability within the United Kingdom Woven Textile Industry
Companies working within the United Kingdom woven textile industry are invited to make nominations for this new award, to honour and encourage young people who have shown outstanding talent and proven ability within the United Kingdom woven textile industry and in so doing, to promote the industry.
This is a competitive award and at a prestigious award ceremony, the winner will be presented with a cheque for £2,000 and a specially commissioned lapel pin/ brooch in the form of a silver shuttle.
Who is eligible to be considered for the award?
The award is open to individuals under the age of 40, who have been employed full-time in the woven textile industry for more than three years, demonstrated exceptional talent and have the potential for further success within the woven sector of the textile industry. It is also open to employers to nominate a small team (up to five people) provided all members of the team meet the criteria for the award.
The Silver Shuttle Award is directed both at graduate and non-graduate employees who have proved to be valuable assets to their companies and who may one day become leaders within their area of expertise in the industry. Nominees may come from any sector or discipline including production, design, management or research; the must have shown exceptional talent and above-average commitment to their company or the industry through additional training, innovation, added value to their company over and above expectations and faster than normal progression within the company.
For this award, it might be helpful to you to have an indication of the type of nominations we would hope to receive, which could include:
- a manager whose flair and ability has improved the success and profitability of a company or taken it into a new direction,
- a designer whose exceptional design skills has led to increased business or opened new markets,
- a operative weaver or technician who has progressed through part-time study and, through innovative ideas, has improved the efficiency or safety of systems,
a small team that has been particularly dynamic and, through innovation, has made a proven contribution to a company.
However, we are willing to consider any other category that an employer might wish to propose, subject to the overall criteria for the award.
How do I make a nomination?
To make the process simple we are asking employers to make nominations by completing a short nomination form and writing a letter or statement in support of the nomination. In particular you should state:
Please refer to the regulations set out below before submitting your nomination.
- in what ways the nominee stands out from the workforce;
- how the nominee has made a significant contribution to the company through any of the following:
- Management, Design and Technology
- Improving operational performance, Research and Enhancing business or profits
- Improving sustainability
and Reduction in waste;
- your view of the nominee's career prospects, within the company and the industry
- any further information that could support your nomination. It would be helpful also to have the nominee's CV.
Companies may make multiple nominations but in view of the prestigious nature of this award, and to ensure that nominations are not made in isolation but with the knowledge of other departments or divisions, we require all nominations to be endorsed by the Managing Director.
- Nominees must be aged under 40 years at the closing date for applications
- In the case of a team nomination, no more that five people may be nominated and each member of the team must meet the criteria.
- Nominees must be British citizens
- Nominees must have been employed within the UK woven textile industry for at least three years
- Nominations must be made by the employer on the form provided and the form must be accompanied by a statement of support setting out the reasons for the nomination.
- Nominations will be judged by a panel set up by and drawn from members of The Worshipful Company of Weavers.
- Short-listed nominees will be invited for interview in London during November and their travel expenses will be met
- The name of the prize-winner will be announced in December and the award will be presented at a prestigious ceremony in the following year.
- The Company's decision is final
- Award winners are not eligible to re-apply
Nominations must be sent to the following address
to arrive no later than 12 September:
The Clerk, The Worshipful Company of Weavers, Saddlers' House, Gutter Lane,
London EC2V 6BR
Please click here to download the application form